The best way to ensure you and your tenants are protected is by adding a legal suite. Why go legal? Here are the basics:
- Having an illegal suite voids a homeowner’s monthly home insurance.
- Homeowner’s could end up in a costly legal battle for damages if anything happens to a tenant’s belongings if the proper safety systems aren’t installed in their home.
- Tenants can be removed by the City
- Homeowner’s could be forced to spend thousands to remove an illegal suite in their home.
What makes a suite legal?
Safety systems are what separate legal suites from illegal ones:
- Fire alarms, interconnected smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Proper fire separation in the units: from fire rated walls and ceilings to fire rated self closing doors.
- Proper venting for appliances
- Proper access and fire egress
- Ducting and heating requirements
For every situation the solution for each of these can look very different…
Our goal at All In Contracting is to ensure we find the best solution for your home, all while maintaining the most comfortable suite we can create.
If you are considering a secondary suite, the very first step is to contact us for a free discovery phone consultation. We can discuss the viability of a suite and what some of the big considerations might be so that we can ensure your suite will be up to code.
The most commonly asked question we receive is: